Grape Gaillardia

During the Garden Conservancy Open Garden Days, I was taken by a rare and unusual gaillardia at the home garden of JC Ralston Arboretum Director, Dr. Dennis Werner. Although not the same as Werner's gaillardia, I found a gaillardia aestivalis var. winkleri to plant in my garden.

This 'Grape Sensation' blanket flower easily transplanted from the nursery pot to my cottage garden in September. I planted it beside the stream in a sunny spot that drains well. The gaillardia has since been growing vigorously, so I'm optimistic that it is established.

This perennial gaillardia likes full sun in zones 7-9. It should grow 18" tall by 36" wide, so I gave it plenty of space to fill out. The color works well with my blue-pink-magenta-purple color scheme that I use in the cottage garden. I look forward to next year's growing season to see if this gaillardia does indeed bloom from May through October...as I've come to expect from gaillardia varieties.

0 comments:

Archive

Powered by Blogger.

Popular Posts