Spring Preview: A Simple Daffodil


An early daffodil looks perfect, fresh and new. Some of your gardens have been buried under snow all winter. This little flower is a preview of a spring to come.

The first poem that I ever memorized was "Daffodils" by William Wordsworth. From my childhood memories, I associate daffodils with cheerfulness. Perhaps it was Wordsworth's line "Fluttering and dancing in the breeze" that gave me the early impression that these are happy flowers.

Daffodils are available in many shades of white, yellow, orange and even tints of pink. There are split cup, small cup and trumpet. There are double blooms.

However, this yellow daffodil is so simple. Simple, cheerful and perfect... a symbol of spring. This is the daffodil from my childhood memories.

Story and photo by Freda Cameron. Photo taken 2 February 2009 in Coastal North Carolina.

0 comments:

Powered by Blogger.

Popular Posts