Snowfall Before Spring



The world is gray today and I long for the green of spring and summer. I shouldn't complain. I remember a snow, 29 years ago, that was much worse than today's weather. Today, the snow is only 2 inches deep. That year, it was 20 inches deep!

The year was 1980, a leap year. On February 29, one of my Arabian mares gave birth to a little filly that I named Pamlico. Pamlico was born outside in a grassy paddock on a sunny, 75° day. For the next two days, March 1-2, 1980, the snowstorm hit. I've always referred to that snowstorm as the Pamlico blizzard. I trudged through the snow every hour to check on little Pamlico.

I no longer have horses or any other outdoor livestock to tend. Our gardening greyhound, Charm, loves to run in the snow -- it obviously brings out the puppy in her. Greyhounds don't have enough fur or fat to keep them warm, so Charm has to wear a fleece coat. I don't have a photo because Charm runs so fast (40 mph) that I couldn't capture the moment!

My husband gave the birds a lot of extra seeds this morning so that they don't all have to wait in line for a turn at the feeders. He piled seeds on top of an outdoor table and on one of the stone corners of the cottage garden fence. The Juncos and Cardinals can't believe their good fortune!

As for me, I'll go back inside to the comforts of the house. There really isn't a good place to sit outside today. Without the sun, the snow photos appear to be black and white. The only color is from the birds.

Within just a few days, this snow will be gone. There will be sunshine and warm temperatures again. The garden will be nourished from this quick snowfall. There's no need to worry. Spring is just around the corner -- really, it is!


Story and photos by Freda Cameron

0 comments:

Powered by Blogger.

Popular Posts