True Grit: A Garden Path


Obtaining a truckload of gravel to refresh a garden path was a bit scary. My husband and I drove our pickup truck down into a gravel quarry. A gigantic shovel dug the gravel right out of the hillside and dumped the scoop into the back of the truck. I have to say that the fellow handling that big machine didn't get a scratch on the outside of our truck!

This particular gravel has always been called "Chapel Hill grit" here in my area. The grit hardens enough that it stays put for years. After almost four years of using it for one of the cottage garden paths, we decided to refresh the look.

It didn't take long with my husband hauling it from the truck in a wheelbarrow. I used a garden rake to smooth it out and filter the large rocks out of it. In less than an hour, our path looked as good as new!

The path is now refreshed. The garden is starting to emerge from winter. The flower pots are placed and ready for planting when the danger of frost has past. Charm, the "gardening greyhound" approves of the new grit - it's easy on dog toes!

Story and photo by Freda Cameron

0 comments:

Powered by Blogger.

Popular Posts